[geeks] Surprised

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Apr 20 00:21:32 CDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 09:03:32PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> wa2egp at att.net writes:
>
> >Looks nice though.  Tempting.
> >Then today I was in BJ's (great name huh?),
> >a "warehouse" type store and got into a conversation
> >with someone looking at the laptops. He asked me what I
> >used.  Well, a 333 MHz Ultra 10 and a Sparc 20 with Ross
> >dual 125 MHz was quite a ways beyond his understanding
> >as was UNIX.  He wandered away muttering about "idiots
> >using less than 1 GHz".  Can't win them all....  ;->
>
> I enjoy explaining to people why I would *never* trade
> my 25 Mhz POWER RS/6000 for their Ghz PC...

What's wrong with a ghz PC?  Sun makes a nice looking one.  So does compaq.
And with a little upgrading, so does Apple.  If half ghz is close enough,
SGI also makes a nice PC.

Now, I realize that POWER machines are extra nice, but still, is there anyway
a 25mhz power is better than a near ghz Sun, compaq, Apple, or SGI?

Oh, you probably meant an intel machine, not just any computer for personal
use.

--
Joshua D. Boyd