[geeks] help, please..

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Apr 18 19:26:18 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, April 18, 2002 at 19:36:33 (-0400), Kurt Huhn wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] help, please..
>
> I've been put in the unfortunate position of having to write a DOS batch
> script to configure and install some software for a client.
> Unfortunately, while I seem to hae most of the major stuff covered, I
> can't seem to find a DOS equivilent of 'sed'.  Does such a thing exist?

Do you have access to any of those unix-like tool kits for DOS like, the
MKS one, or the older "Percent" (c-shell), or mark williams c?  (MWC
came with a DOS version of m4, and their 'ed' was potentially scriptable)

> The goal is to take a text file and insert values at placeholders.
> Anyone know if this is possible with DOS?

It might be easier to write a small C (or whatever) program to do simple
substitutions.  There used to be dozens of examples of such programs
available too -- primarily designed for mailing-list merging, but a
decently well designed one should work just fine for you.....

--
								Greg A. Woods