[geeks] reinstalling solaris

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Apr 18 00:15:14 CDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 11:55:14PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 12:52:03AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > so far going quite well, now that I have .01 clue what I'm doing.  Haven't
> > gotten back to forte c++, which is what cause me to just start over again.
> > Currently doing patches, then pkg-get, the finally forte c++.
>
> > Hmm, this installing patchs thing seems to be hanging on the line:
> > Checking installed patches...
> > for an awefully long time without any disk activity.
>
> That takes a while.

Well, for some inexplicable reason (because I deleted the files to start
over again instead of using what was left on the second disk from the first
install), the dry run failed.  Downloading a new patchset file now...

OK, ./do_cluster_install p-27886.zip, and that returns...
>>> Patch Cluster Extraction Utility v1.3.1 <<<

Extracting Patch Cluster...
Extracting Patches...
/bin/find: cannot open 1*.tar.Z: No such file or directory
Ordering the patch list.....
#

Ok.  erase.  Download the cluster patch again, and do_cluster_install
unzip p-*.zip unzips lots of files.  Now, ./do_cluster_install 1*zip returns
>>> Patch Cluster Extraction Utility v1.3.1 <<<
Extracting Patch Cluster...
Extracting Patches...
/bin/find: cannot open 1*.tar.Z: No such file or directory
Ordering the patch list.....
108434-06:
        WARNING: requires patch 10914707.
        The installation might be incomplete due to the missing patch.
        You might want to remove patch 108434-06 or download the required patch and re-run the cluster install with -n option.
108434-06:
        WARNING: requires patch or.
        The installation might be incomplete due to the missing patch.
        You might want to remove patch 108434-06 or download the required patch and re-run the cluster install with -n option.
108434-06:
        WARNING: requires patch greter.
        The installation might be incomplete due to the missing patch.
        You might want to remove patch 108434-06 or download the required patch and re-run the cluster install with -n option.
Installing Patch -> 108434-06

Checking installed patches...
Verifying sufficient filesystem capacity (dry run method)...

Patch 108434-06 failed to install due to a failure produced by pkgadd.

See /var/sadm/patch/108434-06/log for details

Patchadd is terminating.
# cat /var/sadm/patch/108434-06/log

This appears to be an attempt to install the same architecture and
version of a package which is already installed.  This installation
will attempt to overwrite this package.

/export/installstuff/patches/108434-06/SUNWlibC/install/checkinstall: /export/installstuff/patches/108434-06/SUNWlibC/install/checkinstall: cannot open
pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
Dryrun complete.
No changes were made to the system.
#

I'm too sick to deal with this anymore tonight.

--
Joshua D. Boyd