[geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Apr 17 20:10:07 CDT 2002

[ On Wednesday, April 17, 2002 at 20:39:01 (-0400), Big Endian wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....
>
> >  > So you're saying NetBSD can magically run binaries which never go anywhere
> >  > near any gcc-compiled code?
> >
> >It sure can.  I've run a NetBSD/sun3 kernel on a strictly SunOS-4
> >user-land.  Not a full multi-user boot, mind you as the ioctl()'s didn't
> >all work right to get networking going and such, though rumour has it's
> >closer to possible these days.....
>
> <pedantic> The NetBSD/sun3 kernel *IS* GCC compiled code. </pedantic>

Of course -- but the user-land shell et al I ran wasn't (and at the time
it was supposedly possible to compile the NetBSD/sparc kernel with the
SunOS-4 compiler, though I didn't try that.... -- these days at least an
ANSI compiler is necessary to compile the NetBSD kernel, and the last
reports from anyone trying to use another compiler suggested other
GCC-isms prevail in at least some ports, though IIRC the person making
the report wasn't very familiar with C porting tricks....)

--
								Greg A. Woods