[geeks] So what is the biggest machine you have lost in your house?

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 17 19:59:10 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, April 17, 2002, at 06:53 PM, Big Endian wrote:

>> we just found an ultra10 which had been missing for weeks (but up and
>> pingable).
>
> Is that like the netware server behind a wall thing?

nah. as it turns out it lived on a bakers rack of boxes:

http://satan.posixnap.net/~alex/scorch/Documents/pics/puterpics/DSC01250.JPG

its the one on the top left.

the problem is all these U10's are so generic looking, and it really was
on the wrong rack (truth be told thats my rack, and i had never even
paid attention to it figuring it was somebody elses problem.. i mean
box...). at any rate, the story is we found a whole metric
assload^W^Wtreasure trove of scripts that were running `rsh user atd26
command`. the scripts had literally been written years ago, and nobody
knew who owned atd26, or where it physically was, or even what the root
password was! the "password scheme" didnt work. eventually somebody
found a box that had root trusted in its rhosts to atd26. turns out
there are 250-some-odd users on this box, all of which are various
components of various other scripts, and we havent even gotten to the
point of being able to have a list of scripts that are using it.

so after we figured out how to get in to the box, a couple days later, i
was poking around on my boxes, and realized that the one i had been
ignoring for a year or so turned out to be the missing atd26. so now we
just keep power to it and keep its network connection alive (we moved it
to the diesels after realizing how important it was), because it is the
one box that wasnt moved to our new architecture. (moved from one E3500
to 4 E3500's, 8 280R's, and 16 Netra X1s)

sooner or later somebody (probably me) is going to have to do a massive
recursive grep and find every script that wants atd26 to be alive and
modify them to accommodate a new machine. ah the joys of maintaining
unmaintainable, unorthogonal, and heavily coupled code.

alex