[geeks] SCA question

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Apr 17 16:14:43 CDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > So basically, SCA is SCA, except for when it is differential?

> Interestingly enough, SCA LVD works *fine* in Suns.  Basenji.com has 3 of
> them.

Same here, I've got three IBM 18G LVD drives in (and hanging off of) my
Ultra 1.  This is possible because part of the LVD spec is that the
drives have to recognize when they are on a regular SE bus and adjust.
The low-voltage part means that while they are busy realizing what's
going on, the magic smoke doesn't get let out of the other drives and/or
host adapter, as can happen with HVD =)

> The only thing to watch for is drive height, 1.6" .vs. 1", etc.

Yup, but remember you can slap a 1.6" in the bottom slot of an U1.  Not
that I used it, but I've thought about getting a 36G or 72G drive
to slap in that bottom slot =)

--Kurt