[geeks] grr AT

Michael Conlen meconlen at obfuscated.net
Tue Apr 16 12:57:20 CDT 2002

Actually we had a cool conversation near the end of the conference. He's an
amazing guy, beyond just the books. Someone would be working on a puzzle and
he could tell you all the bath behind the solution for the puzzle just by
looking at it without having done the puzzle before.

My favorite though was a puzzle he came up with where you cut five pentagons
in to various sized triangles and you try to put it back together without
any two triangles from the same pentagon touching sides (I think it can also
be done without them touching at all). In any case he was talking about the
software that solves the puzzle and how it applies to other things. At the
end he said that he described the problem to a friend in China who makes
very nice puzzles by hand. The guy made the puzzle out of five different
types of wood and sent it to him solved and wrote "I didn't need a
computer!"

For every really smart guy out there, there's someone smarter.

--
Groove On Dude
Michael Conlen
meconlen at obfuscated.net