[geeks] Suck arse CD audio ripping

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Mon Apr 15 16:48:39 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Gary Nichols wrote:

> Kurt -

> Are you serious?  Have any links?

> > Or why sparc linux can't do 9600 baud reliably.

Yes, although I realize I should clarify.  Definitely on sun4c architecture.
Solaris and SunOS4 can run the bloody things at 38400 bps, but linux
wouldn't even run 9600 reliably all the time (although that was the best
shot, 19200 would almost immediately drop characters).

It has to do with the chip used in most of the older suns, they only
have 3 byte FIFO, so if you don't service the interrupt fairly quickly,
characters go away.  I found this out when I wanted to use my work as a
free on-demand ISP via a Sparc IPC.  Couldn't run the modem without
errors =(, even with hardware flow control.

I haven't been running my sparclinux boxes lately, so I haven't tried it
with any of the pre-empt patches (assuming they work on non i386).

--Kurt