[geeks] books on refridgeration and cooling

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 15 16:02:48 CDT 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: Bill Bradford [mailto:mrbill at mrbill.net]
~ Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 4:49 PM
~ To: geeks at sunhelp.org
~ Subject: Re: [geeks] books on refridgeration and cooling
~
~ On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 03:45:19PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
~ > Both.  I know that it gets cold.  I know that if it gets too cold it
~ > freezes up.  etc.  I want to know how the damn thing *works*. 8-)
~
~ Duh, obvious URL:
~
~ http://www.howstuffworks.com/ac.htm/printable
~

These guys focus on freon systems, but you can use any liquid that easily
evaporates. Large commercial systems used ammonia for many decades (and may
still). Many refridgerated warehouses have ammonia systems.

I used to have a camper refridgerator that used a propane flame to compress
and evaporate the freon (using a dual check valve), so you don't always need
a compressor (not efficient for larger applications).