[geeks] e.e. smith "lensman" series

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Mon Apr 15 13:12:55 CDT 2002

	I did not realize that puppet master had the same thing done to it.
I will have to run out and get a copy. I always thought that Heinlein did
not get a lot of editing, or had that impression from one of his
introductions. I may have been assuming that though from the fact that he
always maintained that he would write until he had a story rejected then
stop.
	I will have to find a copy of take back your government. His strong
libertarian leanings always struck a cord in me and I am sure this is more
of the same sort of thing.
	Speaking of badly corrupted versions of his work. WTF was Starship
troopers the movie?!? I was Soooo totally confused by that movie. I have no
idea why they even started to claim that it was based off of his original
book. Advanced civilization, check. Bug like aliens, check. Battle suits
armed like tanks, uh nope. Strong social commentary, not even. Hell they
should have just taken the movie aliens and changed the title. Would have
been just as close to the book as that movie was.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org

5316509/reader
/1/103-7612671-5350215#reader-link)

For me though it's a tossup between Moon is a harsh mistress, which is also
the first Heinlein I ever read (gotta love the TANSTAAFL principle), and the
sixth column which just resonates with me.

Oh and for those of you who followed the recent political threads with
interest please read "Take Back Your Government" if you can ever find a
copy.

BTW, Anyone read the last Callahans book Callahans Key? Perfect tribute to
Heinlein in there (alnog with about half a dozen other authors). I'm a big
Callahans fan but most of Spders other stuff leaves me cold.

Chris Byrne