[geeks] I HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Mon Apr 15 11:20:05 CDT 2002

>On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 02:04:15AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>>  On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 01:59:39AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>  > using half the memory bandwidth when running flat out.  But,
>>unlike the xbox,
>>  > the video on the nvidea mobos doesn't have programmable shaders (I forget
>>  > whether the xbox has per vertex or per pixel shaders, but either is pretty
>>  > ool).  It just has generic (but fast) T&L.
>>
>>  although on another note.  what would the chances i could swap out
>>the mobo in
>>  my brothers machine with one of these mobos and get away with
>>using the CPU and
>>  RAM in his current machine?  (just a mobo swap)
>
>Err, are we talking about the nvidea atx boards, or the nvidea xbox boards?
>If we are talking about xbox, you can't.  If talking about ATX, then assuming
>your bother uses a compatible athlon (I think any socketed athlon is
>all that's
>required) and compatible memory, you should be able to do a clean swap.
>
>That brings up one of my pet peeves, DDR.  Why do we have to buy special
>memory to get interleaving?  Why not just require that we add PC133 in sets
>of 4, and interleave on the motherboard.  It would make life a lot saner.
>At least it ain't rambus though.

Umm... DDR != Interleave.  DDR is ram that transfers on both clock
edges.  Interleave is where you use the same thing with multiple
banks of ram, one bank per cycle/edge.  In theory you could
interleave DDR ram too, but only SGIs have the bandwidth to handle
that.

>Well, the nvidea boards don't have many PCI slots, so it would be a really
>good idea to get an ACR board (proprietary slot used for ports instead of
>motherboard headers), and use what you can of it.  At a minimum, see if you
>can use the onboard ethernet and modem.  And for most people, the onboard
>sound should be just fine also.

According to the reviews the onboard sound is quite awesome.

>But really, just surf out and look at the reviews to be sure.  You are asking
>advice from a guy who occasionally casts and interested eye out, but is using
>a mother board made in 1996 in his newest PC.

Thats probably not a bad thing, PCs in general are to be avoided.  My
newest SGI is from 1997 but Apples != Oranges.

daniel