[geeks] I HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 15 11:11:52 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 02:04:15AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 01:59:39AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > using half the memory bandwidth when running flat out.  But, unlike the xbox,
> > the video on the nvidea mobos doesn't have programmable shaders (I forget
> > whether the xbox has per vertex or per pixel shaders, but either is pretty
> > ool).  It just has generic (but fast) T&L.
>
> although on another note.  what would the chances i could swap out the mobo in
> my brothers machine with one of these mobos and get away with using the CPU and
> RAM in his current machine?  (just a mobo swap)

Err, are we talking about the nvidea atx boards, or the nvidea xbox boards?
If we are talking about xbox, you can't.  If talking about ATX, then assuming
your bother uses a compatible athlon (I think any socketed athlon is all that's
required) and compatible memory, you should be able to do a clean swap.

That brings up one of my pet peeves, DDR.  Why do we have to buy special
memory to get interleaving?  Why not just require that we add PC133 in sets
of 4, and interleave on the motherboard.  It would make life a lot saner.
At least it ain't rambus though.

Well, the nvidea boards don't have many PCI slots, so it would be a really
good idea to get an ACR board (proprietary slot used for ports instead of
motherboard headers), and use what you can of it.  At a minimum, see if you
can use the onboard ethernet and modem.  And for most people, the onboard
sound should be just fine also.

But really, just surf out and look at the reviews to be sure.  You are asking
advice from a guy who occasionally casts and interested eye out, but is using
a mother board made in 1996 in his newest PC.

--
Joshua D. Boyd