[geeks] I HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 15 00:59:39 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 01:37:44AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> didn't the Xbox also use the new Nvidia chipset?  the one with the sick
> transfer speeds and widths?  the one that comes with the GeForce2MX built
> in to the chipset?
>
> so basically, Nvidia makes a ton of money off of the sales of these thing,
> and M$ gets nothing but screwed.  maybe it's time to buy as many of these
> things as possible. :)

No.  The chipset of the X-Box is related to the new nvidea chipset (both
designed by nvidea).  But, one major difference is that the video card
of the xbox is closer to a Geforce4 (perhaps better, not sure).

I half wouldn't mind a machine built around the nvidea motherboard.  The x86
CPU would suck, but otherwise those are way cool boards.  The memory bandwidth
is twice what the CPU can use, meaning the the CPU can work at full power,
while other things can DMA stuff around.  The onboard video is capable of
using half the memory bandwidth when running flat out.  But, unlike the xbox,
the video on the nvidea mobos doesn't have programmable shaders (I forget
whether the xbox has per vertex or per pixel shaders, but either is pretty
ool).  It just has generic (but fast) T&L.

--
Joshua D. Boyd