[geeks] I haven't gotten into this yet but I need someadvice

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Mon Apr 15 00:09:13 CDT 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > The CD Video recorder mentioned makes MPEG-1 based Video CDs.  VCDs have
> > about the video quality of a VHS tape...plus not everything can play VCDs.
> > I've seen about a 75%yes/25%no mix of home DVD players that can grok VCDs.
>
> People who say that VCDs have the quality of VHS are blind, or ignorantly
> quoting someone else.  VCDs are far worse than VHS.  I dare you to purchase
> a copy of a movie on VCD from ebay, then go buy an unviewed copy of the same
> movie on VHS and compare them.  Every VCD I have ever seen has been far worse.
>
> SVCD might begin to be called VHS quality.  But, SVCDs only store 45mins per
> CD.  They use a slightly higher data rate, and they switched to MPEG-2.  I
> still prefer VHS tape to SVCDs.

I don't know if you mean VCDs like in those crappy ones you find all
around the Internet, where people stuck their handycam on a movie
theatre somewhere. The only time you can get reasonable quality is
through DVD-ripping, converting to (S)VCD.

I must say, though, that my two original *bought* copies (original
CDI-movies) of "Sliver" and "Forrest Gump" kicks the VHS ass. OK, bought
VHS-movies can be a bit better, but I still favour optical media instead
of magnetic media, because of the wear-and-tear rate.

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards
Bjvrn Ramqvist, Hdgglunds Vehicle AB