[geeks] Cross platform data entry

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 14 09:10:02 CDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Big Endian wrote:

> I'm working on building a database for inventory/desk/etc tracking
> at work and I'm just wondering what people use for data entry
> systems w/ postgres?  For my needs it has to be web based or run on
> OS X/IRIX/FreeBSD and Winblows.

Write a PHP script that presents an HTML form, does data-verification upon
submit, and enters the data into the table.  Nothing (portable) is easier
than that.  If you can't install PHP.  Something similar can be done
fairly easily in C, if you know CGI.

Of course, the postgres server will have to be Unix/Linux/*BSD, but the
webserver running PHP could be Unix/Linux/*BSD/NT/2000/XP.  And, of
course, you could get to the frontend anywhere, so long as you code your
HTML portably.

If you're totally opposed to web-based data entry, the next best thing
would be a Java application that talks to postgres via JDBC.

--Jonathan