[geeks] just for you guys....

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Sat Apr 13 23:26:35 CDT 2002

On Saturday, April 13, 2002, at 08:48 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 11:24:09PM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:

>> how sad it must be to live in a mind that can compare a genocide to a
>> web page.
>

> Fallacy.  He was comparing a web page to a book.  You substituted the
> consequences related to the book to the web page.

Exactly.  (Thanks, Josh, the check is in the mail.)  BTW, I like my mind
just fine, thanks.  It's kept me happy, in a stable marriage for 9
years, and is generally appreciated by my employer as being of value.

Any media can be a tool for positive or negative.  A book, a web page, a
radio show, a TV show, a play, etc.  A web site is no different that
anything else in that regard.  Worse, perhaps, because the access is
anonymous (virtually), and the content can reach any type of mind.
Currently, there is a debate raging about the government mandating that
libraries restrict the material going into their computers, to protect
minors from pornography.  I'm of two minds about this, as I am rabid
about free speech, but I also realize that there are things only an
adult mind is capable of processing.  (Naturally, I think parents should
take more responsibility, but I digress.)

Now, You may be able to laugh at a "fat chick" web page (for example).
What about an 8-year-old boy?  What kind of impression will that make on
him?  Or worse, what if is viewed by a teenage girl who is already
overweight, and it pushes her into depression or worse?

Having said that, I cannot say "Don't do it", as I believe in free
speech.  Period.  However, dismissing the content of a web site just
because it is "mere electrons on a disk" is to ignore the power of a
very far-reaching media.

The media is the message.  It was said a while ago, bit it is still true
today.

-Pete