[geeks] i refuse to spend the entire day infront of a computer

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Apr 13 19:59:29 CDT 2002

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 07:36:14PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Go with one of the cheap ($100-150ish) Stratocaster copies (Squier Strat,
> if I remember correctly), and one of the small Marshall stack practice
> amps.  Get an electronic tuner, 2-3 sets of strings, and a *string winder*.
>
> Dont bother with pedals, effects, etc, until you learn how to play first.
>
> Learn how to get the sound you want out of the guitar + amp, not out of
> guitar + amp + special effects.  It makes you a better player.

Gah.  I disagree.  Find a reputable seller, and spend a bit more on a used
guitar.  Sure, no need to bother with effects, etc right away (and distortion
makes you sloppy anyway), but a nice instrument is a good idea if you can
afford one.  A cheap one, especially if you already have a decent ear, will
just frustrate you.  American made Standard Stratocasters are about $600 new.
Full blown standard stratocastors from mexico or japan (be leary of guitars
from any country but those three in my experiance) are a bit cheaper new.
Used, cheaper still.  All will give you a good sound that you can grow into.
If you get the squire models, they are made of cheap parts that don't sound
anywhere near as good, and it doesn't take people long to realize it.

I personally think Les Pauls are great, but they cost too much, even the
epiphone ones.  What I personally play is a Guild electric, but they
haven't been made in years (the electrics that is.  Guild still makes
acoustics).

But, Fenders are good versital guitars too.  There are other brands that also
make nice guitars, but I'm not really familiar with the others.

Personally, I also like Fender amps, but one can be less picky about amps
at first.  Really nice ones tend to be inconvienent for hauling back and
forth to lessons anyway, I would imagine (at least, nice ones are a pain
to haul.  I never had lessons though).

--
Joshua D. Boyd