[geeks] Web Browsers that Don't Suck

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Sat Apr 13 13:55:13 CDT 2002

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 01:50:44PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Agreed.  I have some design notes somewhere.  I was basically going to
> make it MIME-aware (for the sake of attachments), but have a plug-in
> system for viewing all MIME-types.  The only one that would get installed
> by default would be text/plain.  Being able to view attached pictures[1]
> and such is nice, but it shouldn't be core functionality.

mutt can call lynx (or any browser for that matter) when it's needed for HTML.
what i'd like is for mutt to do the same with image files.  just have it call
the viewer of your choice, get xv installed, and be thrilled with that instead
of having to save them to file and using an external app to view them.  i just
want to cut out the saving to file portion i guess. ;)

> This way, folks who -want- to be able to view that crap could, and folks
> who didn't, wouldn't be forced to have a huge binary in memory with half
> of its "features" turned off.  Folks with the plug-ins turned off would
> just be prompted for an external viewer or a save-as dialog.

exactly.

> This is just one of the billions of examples that prove dlopen() is your
> friend. :)

heh.

> [1] There will always be folks who thing that e-mail is a generic file
>     transport.  Yes, these people are idiots.  But some folks -like-
>     swapping pictures/pdfs/whatever over email.

i won't send anything but a link, but lots of people i know (the Xterra Owners
Club for example) like to send pics in email.  which is fine.  the don't have
the resources or the know-how to host a place for pics.  i can understand that.
my favorite though, are the 95MB RTF files the morons at mcdonalds send to each
other.

-brian
--
"Today, put your best foot forward. If you're not sure which of your feet is
 your best foot, cut one off. Then it doesn't matter."   - www.lowbrow.com -