[geeks] Donkey Kong. I cried.

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Sat Apr 13 01:32:33 CDT 2002

So there I was. I was like 8 years old or something.

It was Christmas day... and I had just gotten an Atari 2600.

With the system I got the game "Donkey Kong"

The box looked so good. The arcade was my favorite.

The intro scene where Donkey Kong climbs double ladders to Loliette
or whatever her name was. It rocked me. It was the coolest, the
sound.. the thunderous noise from the cabinet at Space Port in Pembroke
Mall, Virginia Beach VA.

But the Atari 2600 was different.

It... it didn't look like Donkey Kong.

It didn't look like the picture on the box.

I almost cried.

It was ugly.

It was horrible.

It wasn't like the box.

It wasn't like the arcade.

It was sheer betrayal.

I think a single tear fell as I started the game.

The noise, it was awful.

DIP DIP DIP DIP

DO DE DO LOO DO

DIP DIP DIP DIP DIP DIP DIP DIP