[geeks] Web Browsers that Don't Suck

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 12 14:54:01 CDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Have you looked at amaya?  It is from the w3c.  Some say it is fast.  Haven't

Dowloading it now.

> tried it myself.  Also, have you tried galleon on irix?

That requires GNOME, which requires approximately half of the source code
available on the world-wide-web.  Galleon is nice, but GNOME is quite
evil.

> I suspect your best results would come from either fixing KDE or figuring out

I started that.  I tried.  Really hard.  The problem lies in that G++
suffers from the same register-alignment problems as the rest of GCC under
IRIX.  And MIPSpro C++'s std isn't too std (String, for instance, is
broken. Augh!).  The end result would be a code-fork for MIPSpro/IRIX
(since I doubt the changes could be integrated nicely), or waiting for the
GCC group to fix that long-standing bug.

> how to optimize Mozilla rather than actually starting from scratch.  Someone
> really needs to attack mozilla with a profiler and identify what the darn
> problem is.

Mozilla, perfectly optimized, would still be Mozilla.  It would still have
a JavaShit UI, and who knows how much other extraneous crap.  I want a web
browser, not Emacs reimplmented in JavaScript.

So, my -best- results would come from writing my own, probably against
Motif or GTK (assuing I find the secret to making GTK apps that don't
crawl).  It just wouldn't be the path of least resistance.

--Jonathan