[geeks] I haven't gotten into this yet but I need some advice

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Fri Apr 12 12:48:40 CDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > But, look at the size of a DivX compared to the size of an MPEG-2 file of
> > similar quality.  You can always up the bitrate.
>
> True.  I just hate to do anything that can't be undone with the main dataset.
> And while MPEG-2 really damages video, DivX damages it even more.  But, how
> does one reasonably offline store 100+ gigs of data?  Means some compromise
> is needed.

DivX doesn't damage video more than MPEG-2.  It's actually much much less.
It's just that people overcompress their DivX to get a 2.5 hour long movie
onto a CD.  It should really be more like 2 CD's.  If you use MPEG-2 to
compress down to 2 CD's the quality would be much, much, much, much worse.

Peace...  Sridhar