[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Fri Apr 12 09:16:17 CDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > I love these stories of mainframes notifying people that they're going to
> > break.
>
> It's not a mainframe, but I just love that my NetApp Filer emails NetApp
> and requests things like disks and power supplies.

The really cool thing is that a mainframe will lose a processor and some
memory and continue to run.  It'll just remove the resource from the
allocator and call for a replacement part.  Then you can walk up to it,
pull the offending bits, replace them, close it up, and it will continue
to run through the whole thing.

Peace...  Sridhar