[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Apr 12 09:02:16 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:48:59PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> The biggest problem I'm seeing with IDE lately is that people
> are buying these huge IDE drives for home use without any way
> of backing them up.  The cost of backing up has not kept pace
> with the cost of storage in the home market.

My backup regime involves another hard disk.  In another computer.  And
cron and rsync.

Soon, I shall be upgrading my web and mail server from being a Sparcbook
to an Ultra 5.  Yes, with IDE.  But for the cost of a decent machine with
40Gb of SCSI disk, I got TWO Ultra 5s.  Which means I can have one serving
stuff, the other as a spare.  Actually, I'll use the other for playing
around on, trying different OSes, etc *but* I'll be able to turn it into
an identical server within hours.  And I really don't care if I have the
odd day of downtime.

It's worth remembering that the only SCSI disks I can afford have the same
mechanisms as their IDE cousins, just with different boards bolted under
them.

--
David Cantrell | Member of the Brute Squad | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

   I hear you asking yourselves "why?".  Hurd will be out in a
   year ...
        -- Linus Torvalds, in <1991Oct5.054106.4647 at klaava.Helsinki.FI>