[geeks] OT Q: Multiple paths to storage in Linux

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Fri Apr 12 02:32:54 CDT 2002

Eric Dittman wrote:

> > > Sounds like you want a nice Alpha running OpenVMS to me.  Samba is
> > > supposed to be nice on that platform, though I've never gotten IP
> > > working on my OpenVMS machine.
> >
> > www.multinet.process.com  dig around for the hobbyist license part and you can
> > use it for free.  AWESOME TCP/IP package for VMS.
>
> Also, the OpenVMS Advanced Server allows an OpenVMS system to
> act as a Windows file server and domain controller.

...which costs massive $$$/client, not that high-performing and works
everything else than flawless in an enterprise enviroment. :-)

We're running it, but we are looking at other options, including Samba.
The only reason we did this was because of the "Free 1-user license per
server you buy"-thing.
I've come to the conclusion that commersial support with these things
AIN'T WORTH JACK SHIT. If you know what you are doing, stick to
opensource. Atleast there you can find the solution to your problems
yourself, without having to wait a decade for the support assistants to
get their thumbs out of their ass. The chance of another person having
the same problem as you is far more likely than in the commercial world.
99.9% of those times there are patches/workarounds/solutions for the
problem right there, if you find it.

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards
Bjvrn Ramqvist, Hdgglunds Vehicle AB