[geeks] OT Q: Multiple paths to storage in Linux

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Thu Apr 11 22:42:33 CDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 00:39, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> I know there are many gurus in here so I figured the best shot would be
> to place the question here. :-)
>
> From what I can see, Linux doesn't support multiple paths to Storage?

You're looking in the wrong place.  It's called "multi-path" support.  I
think it's in with the software RAID options (though it's not software
RAID)

> Right now I'm in the middle of investigating a SMB-fileserver and I want
> to avoid Windoze as much as possible, thinking Samba.
> The problem is, that our storage arrays (Compaq MA8000) runs with
> multibus failover. That is, four active paths to the same storageset on
> the controller. Now, this is perfectly working from inside Tru64 5.x and
> OpenVMS, and Windoze NT/2k with "Secure Path" software for a massive
> amount of $$$.

Sounds like you want a nice Alpha running OpenVMS to me.  Samba is
supposed to be nice on that platform, though I've never gotten IP
working on my OpenVMS machine.

> Right now I want to keep the budget tight and investigate the
> alternative -> Linux w/ Samba & FC-RAID, redundant.
> So far, no good. Anyone else has a clue?

There's support, and there are tools called 'mdadm' that deal with some
of what needs to be done.
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/source/mdadm/  If you've got specific
questions, I can try to answer them, but hopefully that will at least
get you pointed in the right direction.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.