[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Apr 11 21:21:04 CDT 2002

Eric Dittman wrote:

> > > uh-huh. 40,000 web servers? exactly how much traffic are you pushing
> > > here? page counts? byte counts? i dont believe for a femtosecond that
> > > bang:buck netras dont whup your mainframes ass.
> >
> > And the X1 is only $1k
> >
> > or since they are IDE based, with no PCI slot, do they not count?
>
> If you want to run your business on an IDE drive, be my guest.

Hey now :)

I run parts of my business on IDE - but I also have redundant machines
and load balancers, as well as NAS.  If/when one of my servers dies,
nobody notices - and I can bring up a spare server in about 10 minutes
to take it's place.  Of course, these are *appliances*, and fast disk
I/O isn't necessary.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com