[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Apr 11 19:08:06 CDT 2002

Eric Dittman wrote:

> > > Okay, let me rephrase that:  How many thousands of individual
> > > web servers can you run, without slowdowns, from a group of
> > > Netras that cost the same as the z800?
> >
> > how much does a z800 cost?
>
> $375,000.

See.  For that priceI don't give a shit how high the bandwidth is, what
the back end disk i/o is, or any other junk.  Fact is, I can afford a
bunch of Netras and a couple load balancers.

Besides, for a grand total fo *4* websites, most current hardware is
slightly overkill (were it not for tha Java server-side stuff).  Plus,
at all of 2Mb of bandwith, I don't need $huge_ass_fricken_machine...

Besides, comparing a z800 to a bunch of Netras is like, comparing a
watermellon to a bag of grapes.  Really...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com