[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 11 18:57:00 CDT 2002

On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 07:29 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:

>>> Okay, let me rephrase that:  How many thousands of individual
>>> web servers can you run, without slowdowns, from a group of
>>> Netras that cost the same as the z800?
>>
>> how much does a z800 cost?
>
> $375,000.

retail, netras are $3000. we get 40% off that, for various reasons. so
we could get 208.33 netras for that price. they come with two 100mbit
nic's. youre telling me that your z800 is more cost effective? i just
cant see it. i _know_ it hasnt got 208 cpu's... i _know_ it hasnt got
416 disks... i _know_ it hasnt got 416 nic's....

there are situations when a mainframe is the way to go. web serving is
not one of them.

alex