[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 11 18:54:10 CDT 2002

> When you've got a lot of servers running, you a lot of
> bandwidth so they aren't all going down a shared 100M
> pipe.  Remember, we are talking thousands of servers.

thats still BS.

if you were able to saturate, say, 2 T3's (such as we have at $job),
thats 90mbit/s. thats half a megabit/s per netra, provided we have the
aforementioned rack of 180 netras. so you have 999.5 megabit of "spare
bandwidth" on the netras. if you had five racks of netras, you'd be
close to your 1000 servers (one httpd instance per server? hmph!)... do
you see where this is going?

alex