[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu Apr 11 18:34:07 CDT 2002

> > How many thousands of individual web servers can you run
> > from a group of Netras?  How much extra floor space and
>
> um, you can fit 180 netras in a single 90U rack. i dont see how a netra
> would even blink running 30-40 individual httpd processes.

180 Netras running 40 processes is only 7200 httpd processes.
Add in the database work, the load balancing (you need to be
able to add extra processor and memory capacity to a running
web server on the fly).

> > do you pay for the OS licenses (z/VM.e is free for use with
> > Linux and does the load balancing for you)?
>
> netras will run linux fine if thats what floats your boat.

How much do you have to pay for the load balancing?  I know
it's not built into Linux.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net