[geeks] 2001: an Oddity

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Thu Apr 11 16:43:19 CDT 2002

JFogg at vicinity.com writes:

>So I'm watching a little of 2001: A Space Odyssey on TV while eating
>breakfast. Dave goes out on EVA. I'm looking at him all suited up and I'm
>thinking "something seems really-really familiar".

>The spacesuits used in 2001 are almost exactly the same as those used in
>IBM's WebSphere adds by the "codernauts". Same sharks-nose helmet, same
>neoprene tuck-and-roll upholstered suit (except in red, not blue), same
>crotch-sling for the environmental systems.

>Is IBM's suits a nod to the HAL = I(-1) B(-1) M(-1) thing?

Well, it's obviously a tribute to the movie.

I vaguely remember that an IBM logo shows up on a console in the
movie somewhere. Maybe on a control panel of one of the ships, either
from the Earth to the moon, or from the main moon base to the TMA
site...

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
-------- "I prefer the ridiculous to the sublime." - James Chance ---------