[geeks] OT Q: Multiple paths to storage in Linux

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu Apr 11 15:50:44 CDT 2002

> > > Perhaps, but I know that I regret not finishing.
> >
> >   To each his own...I certainly don't regret not having gone...
>
> I regret not having partied more than I did.

I did both.  I even remember being late for the first day of
class my last semester as I met a friend on the way to class
and we stopped off in a bar to grab a couple of beers and
catch up (after the summer break).  Four beers and two shots
later, I went to class.  I plopped down in a chair and the
professor asked me where I'd been.  I said, "drinking" and
he said, "oh, that's okay, as long as you've got a good
excuse" (without any sarcasm).  That was a great class.

Of course, by my last semester I was going to class about
25% of the time, so attendance wasn't one of my strong
points.

Another story:  One of the core electives I chose was
"World History: Antiquity through the 1600's".  History
was always one of my strong points, so I didn't go too
often.  I happened to get up early one Monday and
decided I'd better go to class as I hadn't been there
since the last test.  I walk in, and everyone is busy
studying.  I ask one of my friends that was also in the
class what was going on, and he said we had a test.  Five
minutes later, the prof. is there and the test begins.  I
get an A+, with the "+" based on the essay I wrote on the
rise of Islam and its contributions to science.  Who said
having a history major for a mother was bad?

That balances with the book report we had to do for the
class.  I remembered the report was due about 4AM that
morning.  I hadn't read the book, so I put paper in the
typewriter and wrote the report by thumbing through the
book and typing a few paragraphs at a time.  I arrived
at the end of class and gave the paper to the prof.  I
got it back with a "D" and the comment "I'd swear you
wrote this at the last minute".  It all balances out.

The discussion of the Roman occupation of Jerusalem
was great.  He asked, "What benefits did the Romans
provide to the city?", to which I called out, "the
aqueducts?"  The professor responded as only a
Monty Python fan could.  There were a couple of other
fans in the class, so the discussion ended up with
a replay of the scene from "The Life of Brian".
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net