[geeks] 2001: an Oddity

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 11 09:46:18 CDT 2002

So I'm watching a little of 2001: A Space Odyssey on TV while eating
breakfast. Dave goes out on EVA. I'm looking at him all suited up and I'm
thinking "something seems really-really familiar".

The spacesuits used in 2001 are almost exactly the same as those used in
IBM's WebSphere adds by the "codernauts". Same sharks-nose helmet, same
neoprene tuck-and-roll upholstered suit (except in red, not blue), same
crotch-sling for the environmental systems.

Is IBM's suits a nod to the HAL = I(-1) B(-1) M(-1) thing?

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751