[geeks] Math Question

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Apr 11 06:56:30 CDT 2002

	Help!

	Alright since this is a geek list I thought I might turn your
thoughts to math. I have a math problem on a take home test here that is
kicking my ass. Mainly because I don't understand what he is looking for. I
DO NOT want you to answer this, I just want someone to point me in the right
direction so that I can figure out this closed form that he is referring to.
Any other pointers would be appreciated. Text of the question -

"One way of determining the largest eigenvalue for a particular matrix is to
use the Power Method (described in section 3.3 Schilling & Harris). Study
the implementation of the power method as described in alg. 3.3.1 (pg. 107).
Express in closed form the mathematical complexity for a single iteration of
the method for any matrix of size n x n (assume all multiply/adds are the
same in cost). "

	I think I have the answer to this, the method does one matrix
multiplication per iteration making it NxN complexity where n is of course
the matrix sizes. I just am unsure of what closed form is. I have a
suspicion that my linear algebra teacher forgot a section in that class and
now my knowledge is swinging in the breeze here...

	Answer mw back off list or on, I don't care but for the love of god
if you know what the closed form is tell me! Or better yet point me to a
resource so I can learn about it.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO