[geeks] Yuppie Hell

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 11 00:51:11 CDT 2002

On April 11, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   Of course, what you do with your life is none of my business, and I'm
> > clearly out of place by even mentioning it...but the idea of you going
> > to grad school sounds to me like an unthinkable waste of material.
>
> All I know is I don't want to be an admin.  I don't want to write test
> reporting software, shipment tracking software, insurance reporting and
> analysis software, web sites, sales, and sort of reporting, etc, for the
> rest of my life.  A little here and there is fine, but day in and out
> forever... Shudder.

  Not going to grad school doesn't guarantee low-level work.  By the
same token, going to grad school doesn't guarantee high-level work!

> If not doing that means grad school, so be it.  If it means going into debt
> to buy the gear to open a production studio and focus on growing that business
> to the size of supporting custom programming, that could work also.

  Yes but...and I'll admit that I'm speaking from limited experience
here...but everyone I've ever known who's gone to grad school has
wound up leaving school with an impressive pile of paperwork, but
they're old, burnt-out, and in debt.  Do you really want to spend HALF
OF YOUR LIFE in school?

  If this conversation irritates you, I apologize...but think of it this
way...If you weren't such a great and capable guy, nobody would care. ;)

> Or, maybe I'll luck out and actually find a cool job.  I have one lead...

  We've all got our fingers crossed for you...

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Hush and eat your vegetables, young lady!"
St. Petersburg, FL                          - Mr. Bill