[geeks] Eeeek

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Thu Apr 11 00:46:48 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On April 11, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> > Ragge is a very very nice person talking to. Last time I was up there
> > they hadn't got their VAX 88x0 yet, still a VAX 8550 (or was it an
> > 8530?) with 320MB RAM. This, however, was a major step-up from their
> > _HUGE_ VAX 11/780 setup.
> > Consider 12-16 RA81s, 4 in each cabinet, together with another cabinet
> > for tapedrive. Count to that, RP07 (for booting), main CPU cabinet,
> > console cabinet and 1-2 expansion cabinets.
> > Man, that was an awesome setup.
>
>   Sounds like it.  I've never had the pleasure of meeting Ragge in
> person but I hope to someday.

You should. They even got a photo of him...
http://www.ludd.luth.se/gallery/1999-10-12-20.45/Big/pic00037.jpg

I hit that "send" button too fast. Here's the picture of the VAX 11/780
on steroids:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/vax/picture.html
http://www.ludd.luth.se/gallery/ludd1-mII/olivaw.gif

After that, it became the Mark-II (VAX 8550) with new disks:
http://www.ludd.luth.se/gallery/ludd1-mII/olivaw-II.jpg

Another picture of the VAX 8800 with three SA600 cabinets:
http://www.ludd.luth.se/gallery/ludd3-mII/ftp.luth.se_mark_IV-5.jpg

Oh, and a small DEC-20. :-)
http://www.ludd.luth.se/gallery/ludd1-mII/image03.jpg

--