[geeks] Eeeek

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Thu Apr 11 00:29:10 CDT 2002

Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On 2002.04.11 01:46 Sridhar the POWERful wrote:
>
> > Bringing a mainframe up with a full set of
> > power-on tests takes about half an hour.
>
> That fast? Ragge (NetBSD VAX portmaster) told once that they have a full
> blown VAX 8800 with 1/2GB RAM up there in north sweden. The RAM test
> only takes 45 minutes. Usually they bring the machine once a year down
> to replace broken disks. (There are about 5 to 6 dozen connected to that
> machine.)

Ragge is a very very nice person talking to. Last time I was up there
they hadn't got their VAX 88x0 yet, still a VAX 8550 (or was it an
8530?) with 320MB RAM. This, however, was a major step-up from their
_HUGE_ VAX 11/780 setup.
Consider 12-16 RA81s, 4 in each cabinet, together with another cabinet
for tapedrive. Count to that, RP07 (for booting), main CPU cabinet,
console cabinet and 1-2 expansion cabinets.
Man, that was an awesome setup.

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards
Bjvrn Ramqvist, Hdgglunds Vehicle AB