[geeks] Eeeek

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 10 23:14:13 CDT 2002

On April 10, Eric Dittman wrote:
> >   Bad comparison...A VAX isn't a mainframe (the general architectural
> > differences are HUGE), and the VAX 8800 isn't a particularly fast
> > machine.
>
> As someone that has to keep an 8820 running in production, I'll
> have to agree.  The 88x0 systems are definitely slow (and power
> hungry).

  We're talking circa 1986, here...~6 VUPs per CPU in an 8800...it was
great for the era, but not so much now.  Still cool machines, though.

  What are you using the 8820 for, if you don't mind my asking?

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Anybody who is willing to EAT YOU probably isn't
St. Petersburg, FL         such a good person to be hanging out with." -Sridhar