[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Wed Apr 10 15:37:02 CDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> To a lesser extent, it was helpful at $previousOrkPlace because dumbass
> $PHB was always breaking things, and it meant that I could deal with it
> before he tried to "fix" it.  Also, I used it to call home when returning
> from onsite work to ask people at home (or back at the dorm, depending on
> the time of year) if I needed to pick up anything from the grocery store.

At $PreviousOrkPlace(0), they used Nextel direct-connect phones as
walkie-talkies. You could turn on the "earpiece", put you still had to
PTT. We (the underlings) had i750s; "management" had i1000s. I actually
preferred having a walkie-talkie over a phone, since my type of telephone
didn't have speaker phone.

Takes me back to my ham experiences -- one mike, drop it if you must. No
obstruction of vision. Your hand is in front of you, no craning of the
neck.