[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Apr 10 13:27:20 CDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Yeah but...while I have very little experience with college (never
> attended one) I have hung out at a few.  None that I've seen have THAT
> kind of hardware.  Heck, UMCP had a network of SPARCstation IPXs as
> distributed fileservers as late as 1997 or so.

>   I suppose 600GB of disk CAN cost a fortune if you really want it to.

Wow.  I guess my buddy at RIT is rather lucky.  He's the sysadmin for
the CS department.  They've got Ultra 10s in all the labs (which I'm
not entirely sure were upgrades from the Ultra 1s, but WERE upgrades
from the Indys).  And they've got E450s as their file servers.  Running
nice custom RAID boxes from ADS and with nice tape changers.

I think they are a little "stingy" with storage, but it's 20 meg per
student.  I think they limit it to that because much more and suddenly
these student lusers start putting copyrighted software and music in
their accounts.  My friend doesn't like that so much =)

--Kurt