[geeks] opinions on netras vs ultras?

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Wed Apr 10 12:27:22 CDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, alex j avriette wrote:

> > Without saying anything else, let me just say that they were approved
> > for use as SSP's (headless) for the E10K.
>
> ssp?

System Service Processor.  A workstation that providea all the control
function for the E10K.  To date, Sun has only certified 4 systems to do
that:

SPARCstation 5
Ultra 5
E250
Netra T1 (which is also the first true "headless" SSP.)

I like the T1, it rackmounts inside an E10K chassis, two fit quite well,
and still leave room for some disk.  Also reduces the chance of the
bean-counters wondering why you have two "unused" workstations just "lying
around."

(Never mind that they are integral to the operation of the system, and
that's *all* they should be used for...)

-Pete