[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Apr 10 08:12:04 CDT 2002

>   Legal != smart!  I don't give a shit if it's legal...it's *dangerous*!
> I've sat in my car and watched THREE motorcyclists cream themselves
> that way.  (though I suppose it's a Darwin issue..)  Attempted
> homicide on my part?  No...it's attempted suicide on the
> motorcyclist's part.

It's only dangerous if assholes in metal cans try to stop them from
doing it.  Everything has a risk associated - it's up to the individual
to determine what the level of acceptability is...

>   Again, it's nothing personal.  It's just plain dangerous, and when I
> see someone doing it, I stop them FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY...since they're
> obviously not thinking too much about it themselves.  Wrapping it in
> the guise of "reducing congestion" doesn't make it any safer or less
> stupid.

Dave, stop.  You're sounding like a Democrat.  Please - don't look out
for my safety.  Keep yourself safe, and don't worry about whether
someone else is doiing something that puts them in danger.  I realize
the risks involved with motorcycling.  I've had to accidents, one
serious enough to land me in the hospital for two weeks - but I'm not
about to stop.  No way.  I take a risk each time I get into my truck or
on a motorcycle.  I'm aware of the risk, and I accept it.  Every other
motorcyclist will tell you the same thing.

Do *not* ever try to decide what is an acceptable risk for anyone else.
It's just not right.

>   I realize nothing that I say will stop you guys from doing it, so I'll
> just easy my own conscience by asking you to PLEASE avoid doing this.
> I've seen death notices on other mailing lists...I don't want to see
> any of them on this one.  You guys are about the only friends I've
> got, and I don't want to lose any of you.

I only do it where traffic code allows for it.  To my knowledge, it is
only in CA where this is legal - I  could be wrong.  I've never done it
anywhere else, and I've never tried it at-speed.  Risky, yes.  However,
if nobody maliciously cuts in front of lane splitters, th echances of
injury or death are greatly reduced.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com