[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Apr 10 07:58:45 CDT 2002

Kris Kirby wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Reminds me of the time I was stacking some Dell computers and monitors
> > at $dead_dot_com in preparation for rollout for the 35 or so salespeople
> > we were hiring.  My boss walks in and says "Who's ass am I kicking
> > today?" (in reference to a broken website) just as I was tossing a 17"
> > monitor in the box about 8 feet into the air onto the top of the stack.
>
> Not much of a people person, was he?

Actually he was agreat boss up until the time the other Suits started
leaning on him for stuff.  He was highly intelligent, and willing to
listen to problem resolution that didn't include what the sales force
"neeeeeeded".  Towards the end he got just as disgusted with DefendNet
as the rest of the engineering team.  I know for a fact that he refused
to take part in the "who are we going to let go this week" meetings.  He
actually left shortly after the comapny was sold because he just
couldn't deal with the crap from the other Suits.  Most importantly, he
retained his sense of humor right up until the end.  I got the feeling
that he was genuinely upset about the layoffs, and that it affected him
emotionally.

The event above actually went something like this:
$boss: {walking into the stock room] "Who's ass am I kicking today?"
Kurt: [tosses box up onto the stack]
$boss: [dumbfounded look] "Okaaay.... Remind me never to ask *you* who's
ass I'm kicking today...."

Good guy, but just got caught up in a bad situation.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com