[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 10 01:01:16 CDT 2002

On April 9, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> >   Take the University of Maryland at College Park for example.  The last
> > stats I saw stated that was a 30,000 student campus (that was years
> > ago, dunno if it's still accurate, but just as an example).  Even
> > 20MB/student is only 600GB of disk (unmirrored).
> >
> >   I think the bastards are just being cheap.
>
> Let's see, list on 655G of T3 storage is $85K or so.  Say they get a
> good university discount, already have a rack available (or a tabletop),
> and just need to cable it up and add a GBIC to an existing server fot
> the fiber connection.  Maybe $50K in costs, including the labor costs.
>
> Hell, I work for a $BIG_COMPANY, and I can't get $50K right now in extra
> funds.

  Yeah but...while I have very little experience with college (never
attended one) I have hung out at a few.  None that I've seen have THAT
kind of hardware.  Heck, UMCP had a network of SPARCstation IPXs as
distributed fileservers as late as 1997 or so.

  I suppose 600GB of disk CAN cost a fortune if you really want it to.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Anybody who is willing to EAT YOU probably isn't
St. Petersburg, FL         such a good person to be hanging out with." -Sridhar