[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Wed Apr 10 00:30:48 CDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 22:24, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> My understanding is that the linux file server is a new (purchased fall 2k1)
> machine with multiple 18gig drives, but could be wrong.  I know it was a
> fairly large machine.  Lets see if I can look at dmesg here...
> Oh crap.  This machine is using an IDE CD-ROM.  Yetch.

FWIW (which isn't very much), most vendors selling PeeCee servers
include an IDE controller -just- for the CD-ROM.  I think they LIKE to
have throughput that sucks.  My 6xRead 2xWrite SCSI CD-R drive was about
twice as fast as an 8xIDE CD-ROM drive.  Both were brand new at the
time.

> Lets see.  2 18gig IBM drives on 1 scsi controller.  No raid or

For -sure- they're just being cheap.  Hell, at $Previous_employer, we
were upgrading things to 18GB drives in 2001, because they were $199 a
piece (from hitechcafe.com).
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.