[geeks] opinions on netras vs ultras?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Apr 9 21:03:04 CDT 2002

On April 9, alex j avriette wrote:
> I am looking over stuff on ebay and it looks like i might be able to
> swing a netra t1 @ 360mhz for around $250. this does sound like an
> excellent deal to me, for my purposes of java development. the only

  A Netra T1 for $250 is a *very* good deal.

> drawback i see to it is the lack of video card, but that doesnt bother
> me since i have quite a few boxes that can be an xserver for it.

  I have a LOT of machines running here, but only one of them has a head
on it...the one on my desk.  (To the philosophy of having a graphical
console on every machine, I have to ask...How many pairs of eyes and
hands do you have? ;)) If you've already got a good desktop machine
with X and a fast LAN, you're all set.  Get that T1, stick it in a
rack, and revel in its testicular goodness.

> the other machines ive been looking at are the ultra 2/3/5/10/30 ilk,
> and i just cant seem to justify the $400 for an ultra10/360 (or $900 for
> an ultra10/440!). the netra takes up a lot less space, is cheaper,
> easier to move around, comes with two nic's, and so on. whats your take
> on this, geeks?

  A 360MHz Netra T1 would make a great Java development machine.  It's
bigtime overkill, and I'm a fan of overkill. :) I use an Ultra1/170
and an Ultra30 (250MHz US-II) for Java development, and have no
complaints.  I think you'll do very, very well with that 360MHz T1.

  The Ultra10 is a piece of shit...avoid it.  I have only a little
experience with Ultra10s, and all of it was bad.

  Good luck with your machine acquisition activities.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Anybody who is willing to EAT YOU probably isn't
St. Petersburg, FL         such a good person to be hanging out with." -Sridhar