[geeks] I'm part of the Mac Club now!

Bryan Fullerton bjf at samurai.com
Tue Apr 9 20:40:18 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, April 9, 2002, at 06:33 PM, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

>> And i must say, it is a very nice machine... Needs a bit more memory,
>> but that will be taken care of.  MacOS X is absolutely beatifull,
>> stable
>> and not too slow (Have a 600 MHz G3).
>
> 512M is the sweet spot, from what I hear.  My iBook SE/366 has only
> 320M,
> so it can be a bit tardy.  Such is life.

My TiBook/400 only has 256Mb, and it seemed ok until I got the G4/733
desktop with 640Mb of RAM. :) I think a lot of the speed difference is
the hdd speed, though - those little 2.5" drives aren't built for speed.
Once apps are loaded it's fairly snappy on the TiBook (until it needs to
read from the hdd again).

>> And now for the funny things of this, Got Microsoft Office X for it,
>> read some documents on the Office X CD in PDF format! Thats just not
>> M$ like, never seen any PDF docs written by MS...
>
> MS's Mac team is cool.  They realize that, since PDF is the 2D display
> model, it's a good idea to put release notes and such in *that* format.

MS Office X seems pretty good - the "hack" for it is quite amusing.

MS "Windows Media Player for Mac OS X" (nice name) seems pretty much
useless - I haven't found an .AVI file it'll play yet. Perhaps it's just
for streaming MS formats? Bleah, at least make it play the same formats
as the one that ships with Windows.

Bryan