[geeks] Maya news

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Apr 9 06:44:59 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 07:05:47AM +0200, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >
> > To the people who were complaining about Maya costing too much a month or
> > three ago:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > So, you people with the onyxs should be reasonably happy.  2 grand aint cheap,
> > but it is doable, and this is the software that created shrek, among other
> > things.
>
> ...and I just saw that movie the other day on DVD. Geez.
> Good one they included the part with how they actually modeled and
> rendered their work. They was babbling alot about that they did their
> own software, based on the software used on "Antz". Somewhere near 90%
> was "homebrewed" software. Does that make any sense?

Well, when you are a large enough company Maya isn't so much of a program as
an application development framework.  Sure there is maya cloth and fur, but
people like PDI (was it PDI on Shrek?) go and write their own anyway.  And
I know for sure that they also wrote their own fluids simulator.  Then there
is all the media management, etc.  So, even if they used Maya through all
stages, they might be able to say that they wrote 90% of their own code.  But
then, perhaps I was mistaken about it.  I just remeber recognizing Maya
screens during the making of featurette.

--
Joshua D. Boyd