[geeks] New Cray SSD

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Mon Apr 8 22:00:58 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 07:59:27PM -0700, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> O.K., Cray has lost it.

ok, i wouldn't go quite that far.

> #1) "The Human Genome" in what form?  The actual base pairs don't take
> up that much space... (Bill knows why I can speak of this.)

this has got to be the silliest thing ever.  oy.

> #2) Wow!  A 1/4 terabyte.  Gee, an F15K does that with *main memory*
> now, and will soon (I would imagine) be at 1/2T.

hey, this is an older machine, and as such can have 128GB main memory.  the
SSD is just something to add on to the SV1 so that you can get more super
high speed storage.  just wait till the SV2 comes out (if it ever does) i'm
sure it will have quite a bit more main memory.

> It's a nice system, but using the "Human Genome" as a benchmark is like
> saying "It can transfer 1000 pictures of George Bush" per second.  45K
> JPEGs, or 3-megabyte TIFF files?

yeah, i thought that was a little odd.  here you go computer geek, in case you
don't know how big 1/4TB is or how fast 80GB/sec is, we'll put it in layman's
terms for you.  heh.

-brian
--
"Today, put your best foot forward. If you're not sure which of your feet is
 your best foot, cut one off. Then it doesn't matter."   - www.lowbrow.com -