[geeks] Now what am I supposed to do with this?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Apr 8 19:12:54 CDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Scott Newell wrote:

> I've asked this before--is there some trick (possibly involving font
> selection) to prevent the resulting .pdf files from looking all nasty in
> Acrobat reader?  I know I've seen some .pdf documents generated from
> postscript or dvi that had some very strange artifacts.  Of course, I can't
> seem to find one right this moment.

It's a -total- pain in the ass, but the result is worth it.  You need:

   1) The Type-1 versions of the Computer Modern family (search on CTAN)
   2) The pslatex package
   3) Ghostscript

Install the Type-1 fonts, rebuild your TeX environment, and then run this
toolchain:

   latex
   dvips -D 1200 -t letter -Z
   ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dMaxSubsetPct=100 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 \
          -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true

I've got a Makefile that automates all this.  If you want it, email me.

--Jonathan